There are two types of books in Vermintide; Tomes and Grimoires. Each provides an improved die, replacing one of your dice in the final roll of Ranald's Bones. In addition to Books, you can also sometimes find a Cursed Die within a mission. Books are usually hidden in out of the way places and require exploration to find, however, tomes and Grimoires always spawn in the same location in each map.
Tomes[edit | edit source]
The Tomes are an item found in many of the missions in Vermintide. The Tomes are found in set locations within the main missions of the campaign, usually three per mission. A Tome takes the slot for your healing item. Tomes can be set down and picked up by other players with no consequence.
Each Tome replaces one of your dice with an improved die. If players complete a mission while carrying a tome in their item slot, all players have one of their loot die boosted in quality (the die will have 4 "success" faces instead of the normal 2).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Can only be found on the main missions (denoted by a gold border on the mission map).
- The effects of multiple Tomes stack, increasing the quantity of improved dice.
- Take up the healing item slot when carried.
- Can be dropped by exchanging them for a healing item on the ground.
- Can be used to block and push when wielded (equip them using the same button for taking out a healing item)
- A Tome die has a 66% chance of rolling a success.
- Unlike Grimoires, which reduce each party member's max health, tomes do not have any negative effects outside of taking up the healing item slot while carried.
Grimoires[edit | edit source]
The Grimoires are item found in many of the missions in Vermintide. The Grimoires are found in set locations within the main missions of the campaign, usually two per mission. A Grimoire takes the slot for your potion. Grimoires cannot be set down, and clicking while the Grimoire is selected will cause it to be discarded permanently. Grimoires are dangerous to carry and reduce the max health of all players by 30%. This effect stacks up to 60% max health reduction.
Holding a Grimoire when completing a mission rewards the player with a Grimoire die. If players complete a mission while carrying a Grimoire in their item slot, all players have one of their loot die boosted in quality (the die will have 6 "success" faces instead of the normal 2, thus guaranteeing one success).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Selecting and throwing a Grimoire will cause it to disintegrate.
- The Grimoire's Curse stacks, leaving each player with 33% of their maximum health when two are carried at once.
- The effects of multiple Grimoires stack, increasing the quantity of improved dice.
- Take up the Potion item slot when carried.
- A Grimoire die has a 100% chance of rolling a success.
- A Lichebone Trinket can reduce the penalty of the Grimoire's Curse significantly.